Monday, December 13, 2010

I'm always the last to know.

I can't believe we're still talking about this. Am I going to have to wait until every lady of the baby boom generation is dead and buried for it to stop? Is this conversation still relevant? Was I raised in a barn--some progressive barn somewhere where a woman can embrace her desire to wear nail polish and also be "successful" and not ever even think twice about the fact that she's practically walking and chewing gum AT THE SAME TIME!

Seriously, ladies. I would like to talk about other issues here, but you keep bringing up moot points and forcing me to rehash topics best left in the tombs. Ladies can be feminine without giving away all their power to the menz. We can be pretty and still make lots of money! We don't have to choose between smart and hot. We can be both. Or neither. Whatever. Whatever we want. Hell, we're redefining what the term "feminine" means. We're that good--we can completely change the way a word is perceived simply by existing. What I don't understand is how this is effing worth discussing. It all just seems so...obvious.

I'm not going to drag this out for the five of you who actually read it. You can't fight mental masturbation with mental masturbation. Instead, I'm going to go fight the power by putting on makeup and then reading Tolstoy. I'm glad someone told me it's okay for me to do both! Girl power! Redefined.

No comments:

Post a Comment